Smart ID cards, passports can now be collected at some banks



Home Affairs Minister, Aaron Motsoaledi in a media briefing on his department’s Level 2 regulations disclosed that smart ID cards and passports can now be collected in selected banks.

Motsoaledi explained that people who applied for smart ID cards and passports before lockdown can collect it at various banks.

Motsoaledi said the banks will be open on Mondays, Wednesday and Friday’s for collection.

“As we resume more services, I urge everyone who will be visiting our offices and our partner banks to observe health protocols aimed at combating the spread Covid-19.”

“They must wear face masks, maintain social distancing and adhere to all other applicable regulations. The banks had undertaken to continue doing all in their powers to protect staff and clients,” he said.

Here are the banks selected for smart ID cards and passports collection”

  • Absa Greenacres, Port Elizabeth
  • Absa, Sandton City
  • Absa Towers, Johannesburg
  • Absa Lifestyle, Centurion
  • FNB Lifestyle, Centurion
  • FNB Menlyn, Pretoria
  • FNB Merchant, Sandton
  • FNB Portside, Cape Town
  • Investec Bank Sandton
  • Nedbank Arcadia
  • Nedbank Constantia Kloof, Roodepoort
  • Nedbank Rivonia
  • Nedbank St Georges Mall, Cape Town
  • Standard Bank Simmonds Street
  • Standard Bank Canal Walk, Cape Town
  • Standard Bank Killarney Mall
  • Standard Bank Centurion Lifestyle
  • Standard Bank Kingsmead, Durban
  • Standard Bank Jubilee Mall, Hammanskraal
According to the minister, the department issued over 340,000 temporary ID documents, out of which 65,129 have expired, and holders were eligible to apply for smart ID cards.

However, he confirmed that temporary IDs issued during the pandemic have been extended to 31 October 2020.

South Africans abroad or those with expired passports can apply for an emergency passport.

He added that those that want to amend their personal details and first-time applicants for ID documents, including matriculants and those turning 16 years, can come to the home affairs offices and apply for the documents.


Recommended for you