Bob Mabena’s memorial service kicks off today



The memorial of the late radio and TV legend, Bob Mabena kicks off today at 3pm.

The legend was reported dead on Monday at the age of 51, as a result of a cardiac arrest.

The star hosted several major radio and TV shows in a career spanning over 30 year.

A lot of people really really shocked after hearing the passing away of the star.

However, friends are family would be coming together today to remember the late legend at a memorial service in Johannesburg.

“The family are at a stage where it is starting to settle in. As you can imagine, it was traumatic for everyone when we all found out initially. It is a roller-coaster ride, emotionally,” family spokesperson, Winston Maimane says.

Also, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, attendees are expected to adhere strictly to the health and safety protocols which is wearing masks and giving each other distance as the numbers of people would be limited to 50.

The momorial will run for just an hour.

A broadcast of the memorial will be aired on the POWER 98.7 website.

Bob’s funeral will be held on Saturday at 12.30pm, with a live broadcast of the service also airing on the radio station’s website.

“We recognise and appreciate that Mr Bob Mabena belonged to many South Africans, due to the lockdown regulations we will not be able to accommodate all people who may wish to pay their final respects. We wish to encourage people to feel free and set up their own virtual memorial services in his honour.”

Recounting some of his last days, Winston said that Bob first fell ill on Friday, and was later admitted to hospital. He spent Saturday and Sunday in hospital receiving treatment and was told he would be discharged on Monday morning.

However, he stopped breathing shortly after being discharged.

“I got a call from his wife while they were still driving home to say that he had basically just stopped breathing. She said they had just left the hospital and so I told her to make a U-turn and take him back.

“We all rushed there, me and some other friends of his, and we sat with his wife and four-year-old child for two hours while they tried to resuscitate him. Eventually, around two in the afternoon, they confirmed that he had passed.”


Recommended for you